Today I have become radicalized.
I gave President Obama my support and trust. I believed and still believe that he is a good man with the best interests of the country at heart. I believed in his call for hope and change. But, it was not to be.
I gave the Democrat party my consistent vote, all my life. I believed that the ideals of that party were mine and that they had the intentions and wisdom to govern justly. It, too, was not to be.
I have seen the Republican party, throughout my life, do everything in their power to subvert social progress and justice and work only on behalf of wealthy cabals. I had hoped that ordinary citizens would see how they were being manipulated and exploited by the rich and powerful. Not to be.
This is how it is:
- Masters of deceit are controlling public discourse with disinformation and misinformation.
- Politicians of both parties are working on behalf of their influential donors, not the voters.
- Corporate cabals are exploiting the world's resources and economies. without consequence.
- Industry lobbyists are writing our laws in order to subvert oversight and regulation.
- Unspeakable crimes against humanity are being committed by our government in secret.
- Corporations are collecting and monetizing massive data on all Americans.
- Citizens are being monitored and tracked by city, state and federal governments.
- American imperialism is fostering conflicts around the world - religious, ethnic and territorial.
- American weapons manufacturers are making record profits supplying arms to the world.
- The American populace is being distracted with personal entertainment technology.
- The disparity between the rich and the poor is purposely being widened.
- Workers are being stripped of their dignity, their security and their ability to earn a livable wage.
- The credibility of a free press is being wrongly tarnished in order to stifle truth and dissent.
- Scientific inquiry and critical thinking are being discredited for cynical gain.
- The education of the populace is purposely being diminished to make voters more impressionable.
In short, the world now belongs to the liars. They are skilled at getting people to turn their critical gaze away from those actually ruining their lives and, instead, directing their ignorance, fear and fury against "the other."
People are being led to believe that the great conflicts in the world are between religions, races, ethnicities, cultures - each other. In fact, the greatest conflict is between the rich and the poor, the haves and the have nots. And the evil rich are winning, overwhelmingly. Total domination by global conglomerates is near.
While the uneducated and miseducated rail against their perceived code-worded enemies about gay marriage, religious freedom, gun ownership, abortion, illegal immigration, race baiting, government tyranny and other red herrings, the "powers-that-be" are busy, in the shadows, doing whatever they can get away with, without oversight or consequence.
It is time for an uprising.
I always believed that the Democrats and Republicans were not one and the same, not beholden to the same benefactors. It is time to upbraid those beliefs.
I always believed that civic-minded, ethical members of Congress could find common ground, adhere to our system of checks and balances and compromise on reasonable legislation for the benefit of the nation. It is time to upbraid that belief, as well.
I have always believed that our nation worked best when our representatives governed "from the middle." But, the middle has continually moved to The Right. So, I have to upbraid that belief, too.
I am for my government fostering universal health care, strong worker benefits, environmental protection, safe food and drugs, privacy rights, peaceful world involvement, equal opportunity, reproductive rights, public education, scientific research and corporate regulation.
All of these are common-sense progressive causes. But, they are always considered the ideal, and not the practical. Why? Why shouldn't we pass these measures? Because the politicians "in the middle," both Democrats and Republicans, say they won't fly politically. What they are really saying is that there are powerful interests who are threatened by these measures and who control what gets put on the agenda.
That untoward influence for the benefit of the monied and powerful, to the detriment of the "common man" has to stop. That is why I am now embracing the so-called radical Left, which is really just justice and equality.
This country has been bought and sold - now owned, lock, stock and barrel by the rich and powerful. It's time to peel the scales from our eyes. It's time for a class revolution in this country. It's time to abandon the Democrat and Republican parties and unite in a progressive movement for true "life, liberty and pursuit of happiness."
No more Wall Street control of our economic lives.
No more government surveillance into our activities.
No more corporate theft of the world's resources.
No more military invasions on behalf of global greed.
No more demonization of our fellow citizens.
The Republicans have proven that you can cripple our government with obstruction and disinformation. They have shown how hyper-partisanship and manipulating the political system can enrich their masters while distracting, misinforming and silencing the voters.
So, it's time for a sea change. The Constitution is sound. But our political campaign system is corrupt.
The truth is that our government is no longer "of, by and for the People." It has become an oligharchy. We have to right the ship of state or our nation will continue to become an enslaved state.
To do that, we need to take money out of politics and politics out of money. We need to install a new election system, no longer dependent on donors and media campaigns. We need to adopt a campaign system where any candidate can reach all of the people, all of the time.
We need to ensure that the citizenry is adequately informed, empowered to vote and mobilized to participate in our democracy. We need leaders who tell the truth and whose only agenda is the betterment of American society.
We need justice and fairness and opportunity. We need to free ourselves from the shackles of economic tyranny. The government is not the enemy. The corporations are our enemy.
I don't know how we do all this. But I know we have to do it. We have to wrest control from the cynical, greedy oppressors.
It's time for an uprising.